I originally posted these quotes when I first started this blog. I’m rethinking this space but I still love these quotes so for now I’m leaving some of my favourite quotes for your perusal. Enjoy and feel free to share favourites in the comment section.
1.“The best moments in reading are when you come across something – a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things – which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours”
2. “Everything in the world exists in order to end up as a book.”
3. “It’s not that I don’t like people. It’s just that when I’m in the company of others – even my nearest and dearest – there always comes a moment when I’d rather be reading a book.”
4.“You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who had ever been alive.”
5. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
6. “I spent my life folded between the pages of books. In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”
7. “The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”
8. “A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.”
9. “Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
10. “Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”
11. “Do not read, as children do, to amuse yourself, or like the ambitious, for the purpose of instruction. No, read in order to live.”
12. “You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.”
13. “To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.”
W. Somerset Maugham
14. “You get a little moody sometimes but I think that’s because you like to read. People that like to read are always a little fucked up.”
15. “Reading was my escape and my comfort, my consolation, my stimulant of choice: reading for the pure pleasure of it, for the beautiful stillness that surrounds you when you hear an author’s words reverberating in your head.”
Previously posted on my old blog hushabyebooks in August 2014. Minor edits.
Originally posted on this blog in January 2018.
One thought on “For The Love Of Quotes”